4160 Washington Boulevard
Supporting Eskenazi Health since 1907
Since St. Margaret’s Hospital Guild was founded in 1907, our projects have resulted in nearly $13 million being raised for Eskenazi Health Services. Over our 100-year history, we have contributed to the following programs (total funding by decade and major projects are highlighted):
1907 - 1919 Total $30,000* – Provided clothing, beds, wheelchairs, leg braces, and artificial limbs for the Children’s Ward. Completely furnished the two new Children’s Wards in the Burdsal Unit. Funded the Art Project ($10,000): In 1914, 16 Indiana artists, including Forsythe, Steele, Adams and Stark, painted 20 oil paintings and portraits and 33 different murals on canvas to decorate the walls of the Children’s Ward.
1920 -1929 Total $30,000* – Provided clothing, beds, wheelchairs, leg braces, and artificial limbs for the Children’s Ward. In cooperation with the Indianapolis Foundation, established and maintained the Occupational Therapy Department (OTD) for adults and children in 1926. The Guild provided funding for the annual operating budget for the staffing, staff materials and training, therapy equipment, tools, saws, looms, kilns, and capital expenses. Members staffed the ward with volunteers. The funding for the staff salaries and insurance continued until 1958.
1930 -1939 Total $120,000* – Funded the operating budget and equipment and supplies for the OTD and Children’s Ward, including adding furnishings and murals to the Burdsal Unit. In 1938, established the Mothers’ Milk Station to provide milk for premature infants with a laboratory to pasteurize and freeze mothers’ milk, until 1949.
1940 -1949 Total $190,000* – Provided the total annual operating expenses and equipment for the OTD and equipment and programs for the Children’s Ward. The funding also paid for the salary for two nurses, one each in the Psychiatric and Tuberculosis Wards. It furnished two rooms for student nurses. Painted and refurnished the Children’s Ward.
1950 -1959 Total $252,500* – Funded the total annual operating expenses and equipment for the OTD and equipment and programs for the Children’s Wards. With $75,000 in 1955, established the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Department (PMRD). This is the original OTD plus a Physical Therapy Department (PTD). Renovated and expanded the PMRD and Children’s Ward.
1960 -1969 Total $305,600* – Provided funding for equipment, programs, furnishings, and supplies for the Children’s Ward, PMRD and various other hospital departments. Renovated, refurnished, and re-equipped the 20-bed isolation ward and nurses’ station. Established an OT Unit in the new Psychiatric Unit, and new nurseries in the Children’s Ward. With $65,000, refurbished the PTD and established an OT Unit in the new wing, with equipment and furnishings in the newborn and premature nurseries. Equipped four day rooms and dining areas in the new Psychiatric addition. Purchased new equipment and furnishings in the patient and rehabilitation areas for the Psychiatric Facility ($45,000).
1970 -1979 Total $688,300* – Provided funding for equipment, programs, furnishings, and supplies for the Children’s Ward, PMRD, Midtown Community Mental Health Center, and various other hospital departments. Renovated the Children’s Ward and the PTD. Removed, restored and framed the 1914 murals and paintings by the Indiana artists. In 1976, with $140,000, established and upgraded the first complete Adult Burn Unit in the state in a joint project with the Indianapolis Fire Department.
1980 -1989 Total $1,852,600 – Provided funding for equipment, programs, furnishings, and supplies for the Children’s Ward, PMRD, and various other hospital departments. Totally renovated and refurnished the Pediatrics AB Wing, including the relocation of Pediatrics and renovation of the Newborn and Special Care Nurseries. Purchased a heart-lung machine, blood pressure monitors, warmers and wall incubators for the Newborn and Special Care Nurseries. Funded satellite nurseries for newborns and refurbished the Pediatric and Labor and Delivery Unit. Renovated the PTD treatment areas.
1990 -1999 Total $3,324,000 – Funded the equipment and furnishings for the Special Care Nursery and equipment for the Pediatric Unit, Birthing Center, and PMRD. In 1992, purchased a Mobile Mammography Unit. Purchased equipment and furnishings for the Burn Unit. Provided for a new Out-Patient Rehabilitation Center in the Occupational and Physical Therapy Wing. Funding for the Women’s Healthcare Initiatives, Urgent Care Center and LDPR Rooms, the End of Life Project, an ADA Minivan and St. Margaret’s Diagnostic Breast Center, and renovations to the Nursing Unit and other renovations and equipment throughout the hospital. Created the Senior Care Program Rehabilitation Center.
2000 -2009 Total $3,756,000 – In 2000, funded the St. Margaret’s Center for Breast Health. Provided funding for the Wishard Burn Unit, Myers Auditorium Media Services upgrade, Palliative Care (End of Life Care), Pharmacy Telephone Service, equipment for OT, Midtown Community Mental Health Center, Women’s and Children’s Department and the Burn Center Rehab. Perinatal Ultrasound Equipment, Wheel Chair Accessible Van. Also, Van for Midtown Community Mental Health Center, Domestic Violence Program Designed to Support and Educate and Women’s Cancer Support Group. In 2006, provided 2-years full funding ($311,000) for the integrated support program for women facing cancer – EMBRACE. Provide ongoing support for EMBRACE. In 2007, $100,000 for the Our Kids Our Community campaign. In 2008-10, the Guild supported the purchase of a new Mobile Mammography Van. A $20,000 grant was given for the Haven of Hope, an integrated support system for families of patients in Wishard’s Level 1 Trauma Center and Fairbanks Burn Center. $100,000 was given to the capital campaign for the new hospital to support the Haven of Hope area and the EMBRACE program. Provided support for the Medical-Legal Partnership and Volunteer Advocates Programs.
2010 -2017 Total $2,440,373 – EMBRACE received over $240,000; the Haven of Hope $7,000; Emergency Department programs and equipment $16,425; Midtown Community Mental Health Center $33,600; two 12 passenger vans $43,000; $36,830 for the Medical-Legal Partnership and Volunteer Advocates Program; funding for transportation, prescriptions and various programs and equipment for Pediatrics, Senior Care, Palliative Care, Blackburn Health Center, OB/GYN, Chaplaincy, Mother’s Milk Bank, Transition of Care and the breast clinic at the Women’s Center of Excellence. Funded Limestone Falls at Eskenazi Hospital. Purchased an 8-vehicle fleet, including 2 handicap-accessible vans for Eskenazi Midtown Mental Health. Provided significant support for the new Sandra Eskenazi Center for Brain Care Innovation. Recognized for the Guild's contributions with the St. Margaret's Hospital Guild Outpatient Pharmacy at Eskenazi Health.
Total 1907 -2017: $12,858,372